A native of Erie, PA, James Salz received his B.A. from Ohio Wesleyan University and his MD from Duke University. He completed his internship and ophthalmology residency training at the University of Southern California-LA County Medical Center. After completing 2 years in the US Navy, he received his American Board of Ophthalmology Certificate in May of 1971 and entered ophthalmology private practice in Beverly Hills, CA.
He first began researching refractive surgery techniques in 1979 and has performed clinical refractive surgery since 1980. He is one of the few ophthalmic surgeons in the US to have performed all types of refractive surgery: Radial Keratotomy (RK), Keratomileusis, Epi-keratoplasty and Excimer Laser Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK). He was the Principal Surgeon at USC for the National Eye Institute sponsored “Prospective Evaluation of Radial Keratotomy” (PERK) Study in 1980 – one of only 10 PERK surgeons in the United States. Dr. Salz was appointed as the Principal Investigator for the VISX Excimer Laser Photorefractive Keratoplasty (PRK) study for the FDA Clinical Trials from 1990-1996 for myopia and beginning in 1997 for the correction of hyperopia at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA. He was also the Principal Investigator for Autonomous Technologies “Tracker Assisted” excimer PRK for myopia. He was the Principal Investigator at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for the Alcon Wavefront-Based “Custom Cornea” FDA clinical study for both myopia and hyperopia with astigmatism – both procedures are now FDA approved. He is currently the National Medical Monitor for Alcon FDA Excimer Laser studies in the US.
In November of 1994, he was the recipient of the annual prestigious International Society of Refractive Surgery Barraquer Award honoring his contribution to refractive surgery. In 1997, he received the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) has honored Dr. Salz with the Senior Honor Award in 1997 and American Academy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003 for his continuing contributions to refractive surgery.
Dr. Salz is a member of the Media Spokesperson Unit for the American Academy of Ophthalmology, and has been interviewed about eye surgery techniques on the Today Show, CNN and on local TV stations. He is presently a Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at the University of Southern California and attending ophthalmic surgeon at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. He is currently Medical Director at Laser Eye Associates in Los Angeles, CA and TLC in Encino, CA
He was the Founding Editor of the Journal of Refractive Surgery. He was the co-editor of the book Refractive Corneal Surgery published in 1986 and is the Editor-in-Chief of the 1994 published textbook Corneal Laser Surgery. (The first book to cover all aspects of corneal laser surgery). His most recent publications include various articles on The Importance of Pupil Size in Refractive Surgery, Relationship Between Total Aberrations and Pupil Size with the LADARWave System, and PRK For Treatment of Flap Complications. He has published over 80 articles on refractive, cataract and lens implant surgery and contact lenses.
Dr. Salz has been an invited lecturer at over 200 local, national and international meetings and has been actively involved in teaching refractive and cataract surgery techniques to other eye surgeons both in the US and abroad since 1981. He was the 1991 President of the International Society of Refractive Keratoplasty and has been a volunteer surgeon and lecturer on Project Orbis (the “flying eye hospital”) in Yugoslavia, India and Cuba.
Some Collective Accomplishments of Dr. Salz Include The Following:
Principle Investigator for following FDA Clinical Trials:
- VISX, INC.: Excimer Laser PRK for Low to Moderate Myopia – 1990-1995
- Autonomous Technologies: Tracker Assisted PRK for Low to Moderate Myopia 1996
- VISX, INC: Excimer Laser PRK for Hyperopia – 1997
- VISX, INC: Excimer Laser PRK for Hyperopia plus Astigmatism – 1998
- Autonomous Technologies: Tracker Assisted LASIK for Myopia – 1999
- Autonomous Technologies: Tracker Assisted LASIK for Hyperopia – 1999
- VISX, INC: LASIK With the VISX Star S2 for Hyperopia/Astigmatism – 1999
- STAAR Surgical: Implantable Contact Lenses for Hyperopia – 1999-2004
- Alcon: LadarVision Wavefront Custom Cornea LASIK for Myopia + Astigmatism – 2003
- Alcon: LadarVision Wavefront Custom Cornea LASIK for Hyperopia + Astigmatism – 2004
More About Dr. Salz
- Over 17 Years of Refractive Laser Experience on thousands of eyes.
- Editor and contributing author to the first textbook covering all aspects of vision correction, Corneal Laser Surgery (Editor in Chief: James J. Salz; Contributing authors: Ezra Maguen, M.D., Jonathan I. Macy, M.D., Anthony B. Nesburn) published by Mosby.
- Over 60 articles in peer reviewed ophthalmic journals, the majority on the subject of refractive surgery.
- Over 14 book chapters, the majority dealing with refractive surgery.
- Primary surgeon for the National Eye Institute study of radial keratotomy, Prospective Evaluation of Radial Keratotomy (PERK) at the University of Southern California.
- Instructors to hundreds of other ophthalmologists at national and international courses on RK, PRK, and LASIK techniques.
- Founding editor of Journal of Refractive Surgery and current member of editorial board.
- Past President of International Society of Refractive Surgeons.
- Chariman, American Academy of Ophthalmology Refractive Surgery Interest Group.
- Past Executive Committee Chairman of International Society of Refractive Surgeons.
Some Credentials of Dr. Salz Include the Following:
- Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology
- Member of the International Society of Refractive Surgeons
- Member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Teaching appointments at University of Southern California
- Member, Refractive Surgery Research Laboratory, Cedars Sinai Medical Center
- Attending Staff, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
Make sure you let us know you visited our web site and as a way of thanking you for coming, we would like to offer you 10% off of most procedures. We look forward to hearing from you soon.